Recognition of a foreign university degree

Das Bild zeigt Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer mit verschiedenen Berufen.

Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer mit verschiedenen Berufen, © colourbox.de

08.04.2024 - Article

If you have obtained a university degree abroad, you must have it recognized. As soon as you have the letter of recognition, you can apply for a visa as a skilled worker.

Step 1: Check whether your profession is regulated

Some professions in Germany are regulated. Please check the website of the Federal Employment Agency to see whether your profession is one of them. You can find the list of regulated professions here:


Most professions in Germany are not regulated. If you have not found your profession on the list, this means that it is not regulated.

Step 2: Find the right recognition authority

Regulated professions:

In Germany, there are many different recognition authorities for the recognition of your academic degree. Which recognition authority is responsible for you depends on your profession and where you work. You can easily find the office responsible for you on the Recognition in Germany page:


The contact details of the recognition authority, information on the procedure and the list of documents to be submitted for recognition can be found in the “Your procedure” tab on the Recognition in Germany page.

Please submit your application to the recognition authority.

Non-regulated professions:

First check whether your qualification is listed in the ANABIN database. You can find instructions on how to use ANABIN here.

If the check in ANABIN is not successful, you must go through a certificate assessment procedure at the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). In this case, the ZAB is the responsible recognition authority.

You can find more information on the certificate assessment procedure here.

Step 3: Submit the application for recognition to the competent recognition authority

Once the procedure has been completed, you will receive a notification from the recognition authority. Two options are possible here:

  • Your degree is not recognized.

If the recognition authority does not recognize your application, you will not be able to enter Germany as a skilled worker with an academic qualification. However, you can start studying in Germany, for example. Further information on study visas can be found here.

  • Your degree will be (partially) recognized.

Your university degree is comparable to a German university degree.

With this decision, you can now apply for a visa as a skilled worker with academic training or for further training for recongnition. You can find further information here.

Offers of advice

Senegalese-German Centre for Jobs, Migration and Reintegration (CSEAM) in Dakar

The CSAEM offers personal counselling in Dakar.

Centre sénégalo-allemand d'information Emploi, Migration et Réintégration (CSAEM)

(on the ground floor of the ANPEJ in Castor-Dakar)

Lot 1 Lotissement SODIDA,

Avenue Bourguiba,

47267 Dakar-Liberté,

Phone: +221 33 825 87 21

E-mail: senegalo-allemand@giz.de

Internet: https://www.startfinder.de/de/beratungszentrum/senegal

Central Office for Foreign Education (only non-regulated professions)

E-mail: zabservice@kmk.org

Phone: +49 228 501 664

Internet: https://www.kmk.org/kmk/information-in-english/contact.html

Hotline “Working and living in Germany”

The “Working and living in Germany” hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA) offers personal initial counselling on recognition, as well as on all questions relating to immigration and integration.

Phone: +49 30 18 15 11 11

Contact form: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/de/contact/recognition

Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) of the Federal Employment Agency

The ZSBA provides in-depth initial counselling via the “Working and living in Germany” hotline. The ZSBA will help you with your application. The ZSBA will advise you and guide you through the recognition procedure until you enter Germany.

E-mail: recognition@arbeitsagentur.de

Internet: https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/vor-ort/zav/zentrale-servicestelle-berufsanerkennung

Top of page