Recognition of foreign professional training

Das Bild zeigt Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer mit verschiedenen Berufen.

Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer mit verschiedenen Berufen, © colourbox.de

04.04.2024 - Article

If you have completed professional training abroad, you will need to go through a recongition procedure. As soon as you have the notice of recognition, you can apply for a visa as a skilled worker.

Step 1: Find the right recognition centre

There are many different recognition centres in Germany for the recognition of your professional training. Which recognition centre is responsible for you depends on your profession and where you want to work.

You can easily find the office responsible for you on the Recognition in Germany page:


Step 2: Submit the application for recognition to the competent recognition centre

The contact details of the recognition centre, information on the procedure and the list of documents to be submitted for recognition can be found in the “Your procedure” tab on the Recognition in Germany page.

Please submit the application to the recognition centre.

Once the procedure has been completed, you will receive a notification from the recognition centre. Three options are possible here:

  • Your degree is not recognised.

If the recognition centre does not recognise your professional formation, entry as a skilled worker with professional training is not possible. However, you can, for example, start a professional training in Germany and learn the profession in Germany. Further information on training visas can be found here.

  • Your degree is partially recognised.

In the case of partial recognition, you can complete an adaptation qualification. Once you have successfully completed this, you will receive a certificate as proof. You can then submit a follow-up application for recognition. You submit this with the certificate and your other documents to the competent authority. If the professional qualification is then equivalent, you will be recognised and can work as a skilled worker in Germany.

You may enter Germany to take part in a qualification programme. Please seek advice if you have any questions about entry.

  • Your degree will be recognised.

Your professional qualification and the German professional qualification are equivalent. You also fulfil all other requirements. Your professional qualification is recognised. You have the same professional rights as a person with a German professional qualification.

With this decision, you can now apply for a visa as a skilled worker with professional training. You can find further information here.

Offers of advice

Project “Leben und Arbeiten in Deutschland

As part of the pre-integration project “Leben und Arbeiten in Deutschland”, the Goethe-Institut in Dakar offers personal counselling, information events, intercultural workshops and other preparatory seminars on living and working in Germany, both in person and virtually.

Goethe-Institut Dakar
Immeuble Thiargane (6th floor), Place OMVS, Rond-point de l'École Normale
12524 Dakar

E-mail: integration-senegal@goethe.de

Internet: https://www.goethe.de/ins/sn/de/spr/led.html

Senegalese-German Centre for Jobs, Migration and Reintegration (CSEAM) in Dakar

The CSAEM offers personal counselling in Dakar.

Centre sénégalo-allemand d'information Emploi, Migration et Réintégration (CSAEM)

(on the ground floor of the ANPEJ in Castor-Dakar)

Lot 1 Lotissement SODIDA,

Avenue Bourguiba,

47267 Dakar-Liberté,

Phone: +221 33 825 87 21

E-mail: senegalo-allemand@giz.de

Internet: https://www.startfinder.de/de/beratungszentrum/senegal

Hotline “Working and living in Germany”

The “Working and living in Germany” hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA) offers personal initial counselling on recognition, as well as on all questions relating to immigration and integration.

Phone: +49 30 18 15 11 11

Contact form: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/de/contact/recognition

Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) of the Federal Employment Agency

The ZSBA provides in-depth initial counselling via the “Working and living in Germany” hotline. The ZSBA will help you with your application. The ZSBA will advise you and guide you through the recognition procedure until you enter Germany.

E-mail: recognition@arbeitsagentur.de

Internet: https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/vor-ort/zav/zentrale-servicestelle-berufsanerkennung

Top of page